“I am”… I cried “I am”… said I, and I am lost and I can’t even say why leavin’ me lonely still
I Am….I Said 1971 Neil Diamond
Welcome to Drivel Over Coffee. The Drivel rambles through this thing called life, stopping here and there for reflection, an enlightenment, some storytelling, and a touch of humor perhaps. All the while my brain reverberates with the best music in the world – The ‘60’s and early 70’s. Yep – Lost in The Sixties.
Ah, Memorial Day Weekend. The start of summer. I think June should be Memorial Month, connecting our remembrance for those fallen protecting our country spanning to July 4th when our Independence Day started the country we cherish so much today or at least we should. I think that would be such a logical way to celebrate our country and honor our brave soldiers who defend it and our freedoms we enjoy today. Just a thought.
Let’s all stand and sing a Happy Birthday to my current wife. Her birthday was June 2. She slid into her next age gracefully and low key. She still looks the same as last year. We managed to go out and buy her a condo, so we could downsize finally. She seems to be happy about the present. Better than the vacuum I got her last year. The transition will be chaotic for sure.
But, did you know that right here in Iowa we have reason to celebrate each day since we rank near the top in many things people don’t realize such as:
1. At 90%, Iowa has the highest graduation rate in the country.
2. Iowa also has the highest literacy rate in the country, at 99%.
3. According to the U.S. Opportunity Index, Iowa ranks 8th in access to opportunity.
4. Iowa is the 6th safest state in the country and has the 2nd lowest murder rate.
5. Iowa ranked 14th in cost of living, and in 2010, Forbes named Davenport/Bettendorf the most affordable metropolitan area in the nation.
6. Iowa’s real median family income is $67,771 compared to the national median family income of $65,910
7. In September, Iowa’s unemployment rate was 3.6%, compared to the 5.1% national unemployment rate.
8. During the last presidential election, Iowa ranked 5th for voter turnout.
9. Iowa is the 2nd highest food producing state in the nation, after California.
10. Iowa ranks number one in the nation for pork production.
11. Iowa also ranks number one in the nation for corn production.
12. Iowa is also leading the nation in wind energy, producing more wind power than any other state in the country.
The entire country should be thankful to Iowa for these 10 reasons:
10. Iowa is responsible for many life-changing inventions, like sliced bread.
9. And the vending machine.
8. And the computer.
7. Iowa also produces a large portion of the nation’s wind energy.
6. And we’re leading the nation in production of renewable fuels like ethanol and biodesiel.
5. Iowa also produces the most pork in the country, including that Thanksgiving ham you’re going to eat, or that bacon you had for breakfast.
4. Iowa is also the nation’s leader in egg production.
3. And we produce the most soybeans in the country.
2. And, no surprise here, Iowa produces more corn than any other state, and even more than some countries.
1. But most of all, we should be thankful for the hard-working farmers that make all this possible.
Subject: GDS – Hot Air Balloon
A man and a woman in a hot-air balloon realized they were lost. They lowered their altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. The woman shouted to him, “Excuse me, can you help us? We promised a friend we would meet them an hour ago, but we don’t know where we are.” The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, “You’re in a hot-air balloon, approximately 30 feet above ground elevation of 2,346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude.
She rolled her eyes and said, “You must be a Republican. “I am,” replied the man. “How did you know?” “Well,” answered the balloonist, “everything you told me is technically correct. But I have no idea what to do with your information, and we’re still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help to us.”
The man smiled and responded, “You must be a Democrat!” “We both are,” replied the balloonist. “How did you know?” “Well,” said the man, “you don’t know where you are — or where you are going. You’ve risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot-air. You made a promise you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You’re in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but somehow, now it’s my fault.”
…….. Well my friends, there you have it as told by yours truly to you all. Thanks for allowing me back into your day, if only for a brief time. It is always an honor. If I can make at least one-person smile, laugh till they leak, or maybe spit out a drink, my day was not wasted. Until we meet again -TA!”
Drivel Over Coffee is available on the internet at www.drivelovercoffee.com or if you prefer to receive it via email, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.